Be Lean. Be Fit. Wellness & You
Wake Up Your Veggies With FruitBy Erin Kuh, MBA, RD/CD
- Top spinach salad with sliced strawberries
- Mix steamed broccoli with diced oranges or tangerines and a splash of soy sauce
- Add apple or pear slices to a mixed green salad
- Combine thawed, frozen whole cranberries with roasted brussel sprouts (*See recipe below)
- Sauté chopped asparagus and onion with slices of mango and 1-2 tspns of toasted sesame oil
Don't fear the commonly bashed brussel sprout! Warning: By roasting these mini-cabbages combined with tart cranberries and crunchy walnuts, you may find yourself going back for seconds.
- 1 lb brussel sprouts, washed and sliced in half
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Place brussel sprouts in glass baking pan or metal roasting pan.
- Pour vinegar and oil over brussel sprouts. Mix to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes-18 minutes.
- Add cranberries and walnuts to pan. Bake for additional 5-7 minutes or until brussel sprouts are browned and cranberries are soft.